- 20” x 50” fabric
- 2 x 80” pieces of cording
- Puffy paints, buttons, ribbon, bows, etc for decorating
- Cut 20” x 50” piece of fabric (you can alter the size to meet your needs).
- Fold in ½, right sides together.
- From top edge, mark 2” down. (Fig. 1)
- Using ½” seams, sew below mark to bottom of bag on both sides.
- Above mark, turn seams to inside and sew in 3/8” seams, squaring at mark. (Fig. 2)
- To make casing for drawstring, turn over 1” on top edge and sew in place.
- Turn bag right side out.
- Make small buttonholes at both bottom corners.
- Cut 2 pieces of cording approximately 80” long each.
- Starting at one end of the drawstring opening, thread the cording all the way around until it comes out on the same side where you began. (I pin the end of the cording and feed the pin through the drawstring pocket for ease of threading). (Fig. 3)
- Take both ends and make the cord evenly distributed.
- Feed the ends through the buttonhole (front to back) and knot.
- Repeat with the other piece of cording, beginning on the opposite side of the drawstring casing. (Fig. 3)
- Decorate the front of the bag using puffy paints, embroidery, buttons, bows, ribbon, etc. (Fig 4)
About the Author (Author Profile)
Formerly with Hopewell High School in Charlotte, NC, Brenda Scarpati now coaches the multi-school ‘State of Illusion’ winter guard team in Bloomfield Hills, MI. In addition to coaching, Brenda enjoys crafts and sewing.